Bearakaya 2 big sized
Urad dal 1 teaspoon
Chana dal 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds 1/2 teaspoon
Jeera 1/2 teaspoon
Sesame powder 3 teaspoon
Red chiilies 2
Hing 1 pinch
Turmeric 2 pinches
Curry leaves 6 to 8 leaves
Chilli powder 3/4 teaspoon (adjust accordingly)
Oil 3 teaspoons
Salt as needed
1. Wash berakaya or ridge gourd. Peel the skin. (Donot throw the skin you can make chutney and pickle with it) .Cut them into pieces.
2. Heat a kadia or pan add water to it. After the water is little heated add the berakaya or rige gourd pieces,little salt and tumeric to it (or) in a pressure cooker you can cook the berakaya or ridge gourd.
3. After the ridge gourd or berakaya is cooked drain the water and keep it aside.
4. Heat the same pan or kadia and add oil and turn the stove to medium low flame . Add chana dal, urad dal, jeera, mustard seeds, red chilli cut into two pieces, hing and curry leaves. After the mustard seeds start to spulter.
5. After 5 minutes add the sesame powder and mix well. Add salt and tumeric powder and mix well.
6. Cook for about 10 minutes and add red chilli powder mix well and switch off the stove.