Usirikaya or Gooseberries or Amla 6 big sized or 1 table spoon paste
Tomatoes 2 medium sized
Turmeric powder 1 pinch
Mustard seeds or rai or avalu ½ teaspoon
Jeera ¼ teaspoon
Menthi seeds or menthulu ¼ teaspoon
Red chillies 2
Garlic cloves 3
Rasam powder 1 teaspoon
Oil 1 teaspoon
Hing or asafoetida 2 pinches
Curry leaves 1 string
Salt as needed
1. Pressure cook or cook gooseberries or amla or usirikaya. When they become tender deseed the gooseberries and grind them or mash them into a smooth paste.
2. Wash and chop tomatoes and garlic into pieces. Heat a pan and add oil after oil is heated add mustard seeds, menthi seeds, jeera, red chilli cut into three pieces, curry leaves, hing and garlic.
3. When the mustard seeds start to splutter and garlic slightly changes color add the chopped tomatoes.
4. When the tomatoes become tender add 3 cups of water when the water starts to boil add rasam powder, tumeric powder and salt, mix well.
5. After two minutes add the gooseberries paste and mix well.