Pudina leaves or Mint leaves 2 bunches
Basmati Rice 1 cup
Water 1 ½ to 2 cups
(Depending on the rice)
Onion 1 medium sized
Cumin or Jeera 1 teaspoon
Garlic pods 4
Ginger 2 inch piece
Green chili 4
Garam masala ¾ teaspoon
Oil 2 table spoons
Salt as needed
1. Wash and soak basmati rice in water for about ½ an hour. Wash the mint leaves or pudina leaves. Cut the onion, garlic and ginger into pieces.
2. Heat skillet or deep vessel or pressure cooker. Add oil after oil is hot add jeera start to splutter, add onion pieces and saute well.
3. When the onion becomes translucent add ginger, garlic, green chili and pudina leaves. When the mint becomes soft switch off the stove.
4. Grind this into a coarse paste.
5. Add the paste to the soaked rice and mix well. Add garam masala powder, salt and mix well.
6. Close the cooker and keep whistle. After 3 whistles switch off the stove. Wait for 15 minutes. Serve hot with raita.
This goes to "Bookmarked Recipes - Every Tuesday" event hosted by Aipi and Priya.