Thotakura leaves / amaranth leaves 1 bunch
Onion big sized 1
Chana dal 1 teaspoon
Urad dal 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
Red chilies 3
Jeera ½ teaspoon
Garlic cloves 3
Red chili powder 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder 2 pinches
Hing 1 pinch
Curry leaves 1 string
Oil 1 tablespoon or 3 teaspoons
Salt as needed
1. Wash thotakura or amaranth leaves thoroughly and chop them very finely. Don’t throw out the tender stalks. You can make sambar with it.
2. Add little water and pressure cook the thotakura or amaranth leaves or cook it in a pan or vessel.
3. Chop onions and garlic into small pieces. Heat a pan add oil after oil is heated add mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal, jeera, red chilli cut into three pieces, hing, garlic pieces and curry leaves.4. When the mustard seeds start to splutter and dals slightly change color add onion pieces and saute well.
5. When the onion becomes translucent add the cooked thotakura and mix well. Add turmeric powder and salt, mix well.
6. After 5 minutes add rice flour and mix well. Add ¼ teaspoon of oil. Mix well.
7. Cook for 10 minutes and add red chilli powder mix well and switch the stove.