Kakarakaya or Bitter gourd 6 or 1 pound or ½ kg
Green chilies 3
Turmeric powder ¼ teaspoon
Ginger 1 ½ inch piece
Onion 1 big sized
Coriander powder or Dhaniya powder 1 tea spoon
Oil 1 ½ table spoon
Salt as needed
1. In a deep vessel or bowl add ½ teaspoon salt and turmeric powder and mix well. Cut bitter gourd into 1 ½ or 2 inch length wise. Mix the pieces with the salt and tumeric powder mix well and set it aside for about an hour . This decrease the bitterness of bitter gourd.
2. Cut onion into pieces. Make a paste of onion, green chilies and ginger. Don’t add water to the paste this increases bitterness of the bitter gourd.
3. Heat a skillet or deep pan and add oil when oil is hot add bitter gourd pieces and mix well. Cover it and cook.
4. When the bitter gourd becomes tender and turns golden brown color add the onion paste and mix well.
5. When the onion paste is fully absorbed add coriander powder and mix well.
6. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes and switch off the stove.