Toor Dal or Kandi pappu ¾ cup
Tomato 2 medium sized
Mango ½ medium sized
Turmeric ¼ teaspoon
Green chilies 3
Urad dal or Menapa pappu or Black gram split ½ teaspoon
Mustard seeds or avalu or rai ½ teaspoon
Red Chilli 2
Hing 2 pinches
Red Chilli Powder ½ teaspoon
Curry Leaves 6 to 8
Oil 2 teaspoons
Salt as needed
1. Cut tomatoes and mango into pieces.
2. Heat a deep pan or kadai and add the toor dal and dry roast till you get a nice aroma. Ensure that the dal does not get dark.
3. Wash the dal and put the dal in the pressure cooker or a pan, add the tomato pieces, mango pieces, green chillies and turmeric. Add 2 cups of water and cook until the dal is fully cooked.
4. Heat a deep pan or skillet add oil after oil is hot add urad dal, mustard seeds, red chillies, curry leaves and hing.
5. When mustard seeds splutter and urad dal changes to golden color . Add the dal , salt and red chili powder and cook for 2 minutes. If you want dal softer and thinner add water and cook for more time.