Bearakaya 2 big sized
Onions 1 medium sized
Tomato 2 medium sized
Garlic cloves 3
Urad dal 1 teaspoon
Chana dal 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds 1/2 teaspoon
Jeera 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander powder 1 teaspoon
Red chiilies 2
Hing 1 pinch
Turmeric 2 pinches
Curry leaves 6 to 8 leaves
Chilli powder 3/4 teaspoon (adjust accordingly)
Oil 3 teaspoons
Salt to taste
1. Wash berakaya or ridge gourd. Peel the skin. (Donot throw the skin you can make chutney and pickle with it) .Cut them into pieces.
2. Cut tomato, onion and garlic into small pieces.
3. Heat a kadia or pan add water to it. After the water is little heated add the berakaya or rige gourd pieces,little salt and tumeric to it (or) in a pressure cooker you can cook the berakaya or ridge gourd.
4. After the ridge gourd or berakaya is cooked drain the water and keep it aside.
5. Heat the same pan or kadia and add oil and turn the stove to medium low flame . Add chana dal, urad dal, jeera, mustard seeds, red chilli cut into two pieces, hing and curry leaves. After the mustard seeds start to spulter. Add the chopped onions and garlic.
6. After 2 minutes add the tomato pieces and mix well. Cover pan with lid and cook in medium low flame. In between mix well. For about 5 minutes
till the tomatoes will become soft.
7. Add the cooked berakaya or ridge gourd pieces and mix well. After 5 minutes add salt and tumeric powder and mix well.
8. Cook for about 10 minutes and add red chilli powder mix well and switch off the stove.