Toor Dal or Kandhi pappu 1 cup
Ridge gourd 2 medium sized or 1 ½ cup pieces
Turmeric powder 1 pinch
Urad dal 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds ½ teaspoon
Red Chillies 2
Hing 2 pinches
Garlic 3 cloves (optional)
Onion 1 (optional)
Curry Leaves 6 to 8
Oil 2 teaspoons
Salt as needed
1. Wash and peel the skin of ridge gourd. Don't throw it you can make tasty chutney with ridge gourd skin. Click here for the preparation of chutney. Cut them into small pieces.
2. Heat a deep pan or skillet and dry roast dal. Wash the dal and add the berakaya or ridge gourd pieces.
3. Cook dal and ridge gourd in the pressure cooker or a pan.
4. Heat a pan add oil after oil is hot add urad dal, mustard seeds, red chilli, garlic(optional ), curry leaves and hing. (You can addd onion pieces and adfter it turns translucent add the dal)
5. When mustard seeds spulter and dal changes to golden color . Add the dal, tumeric powder, salt and red chilli powder and cook for 5 minutes. If you want dal softer and thinner add water and cook for more time.