Urad dal or Menapa pappu 1 cup
Rice or Long grain rice or Ponni rice 3 cups
(In US you get 25 lb of Long grain rice for about 10 dollars in Costco ,Sams )
Menthi seeds 1/2 teaspoon
Toor dal 1/2 teaspoon
Salt as needed
Idly are prepared in Idly skill set. The idly pan has four half circle holes.
1. Soak urad dal,long grain rice ,urad dal and menthi seeds for about 4 hours.
2. Grind the urad dal ,long grain rice and methi seeds into a very smooth and fine paste.
3. Keep aside the batter in a warm place for overnight or about 7 to 8 hours. in a warm place like conventional oven or microwave The batter usually doubles in quantity. Take the idly making plates and grease them with oil or ghee. Fill the plates to three fourth with idly batter.
5. Place the idly stand in a cooker or idly cooker and cook them for about 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Take out the idly's along the edges using a spoon.
Serve idly's coconut chutney ,peanut chutney and sambhar.