Green Brinjal ½ kg or 1 pound
Onion 1 big sized and finely chopped
Chana dal 1 teaspoon
Urad dal 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
Jeera ½ teapoon
Red chillies 3
Red Chillies powder 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves 1 string
Mustard powder 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder 3 pinches
Tamarind pulp of 2 inch tamarind
Oil 3 teaspoons or 1 tablespoon
Salt as needed
1. Wash and cut brinjals into small pieces. In a deep pan add water after water is heated add the brinjal pieces. Add tumeric powder and salt cook ,until they are cooked. Strain the water.
2. Heat a deep pan or skillet add oil after oil is heated add urad dal, mustard seeds, red chillies, curry leaves and hing.
3. When mustard seeds splutter and urad dal changes to golden color. Add the onion pieces when they turn translucent, add the tamarind paste.
4. When the pulp starts to boil add the brinjal pieces and mix well.
5. Add mustard powder little salt. Cook for 10 minutes.
6. Add red chilli powder and mix well. Cook for 2 minutes and switch off the stove.