Toor Dal or Kandi pappu 1 cup
Spinach ½ packet
Mango ½ medium sized
Onion 1 (optional)
Garlic cloves 6
Turmeric ¼ teaspoon
Green chilies 3
Urad dal or Menapa pappu or Black gram split 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds or avalu or rai 1 teaspoon
Red Chilli 2
Hing 2 pinches
Red Chilli Powder ½ teaspoon
Curry Leaves 6 to 8
Oil 2 teaspoons
Salt as needed
1. Chop spinach and mango into pieces. Peel garlic.
2. Heat a deep pan or kadai and add the toor dal and dry roast till you get a nice aroma. Ensure that the dal does not get dark.
3. Wash the dal and put the dal in the pressure cooker or a pan, add the chopped spinach, mango pieces, green chillies, garlic and turmeric. Add 2 ½ cups of water and cook until the dal is fully cooked.
4. Heat a deep pan or skillet add oil after oil is hot add urad dal, mustard seeds, red chillies, curry leaves and hing.
5. When mustard seeds splutter and urad dal changes to golden color . Add the dal , salt and red chili powder and cook for 2 minutes. If you want dal softer and thinner add water and cook for more time.