Dondakaya ½ kg or 1 pound
Onion 1 big sized and finely chopped
Chana dal 1 teaspoon
Urad dal 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
Jeera ½ teapoon
Red chillies 3
Red chilli powder 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves 1 string
Mustard powder 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder 3 pinches
Tamarind pulp of 2 inch tamarind
Oil 2 teaspoons
Salt as needed
1. Chop donadakaya into small circular pieces. Cook them in a cooker or a deep pan.
2. Heat a deep pan or skillet add oil after oil is heated add urad dal, mustard seeds, red chillies, curry leaves and hing.
3. When mustard seeds splutter and urad dal changes to golden color. Add the onion pieces when they turn translucent, add the tamarind paste.
4. When the pulp starts to boil add the dondakaya pieces and mix well.
6. Add red chilli powder and mix well. Cook for 2 minutes and switch off the stove.